Yaroslavl is one of the most beautiful cities in the Golden Ring of Russia. Yaroslavl is a majestic city, spread out on the high bank of the Volga, rich in architectural and cultural monuments of the Russian history, and another tourist center of the Golden Ring. RUSSIAN GOLDEN RING TRAVEL IN YAROSLAVl
The history of Yaroslavl began in 1010 with the duke Yaroslav the Wise, who laid the fortress in the area of the confluence of the Volga and Kotorosl rivers, on the site of the Medvezhiy Ugol settlement. The location of the village was military advantageous: it controlled the mouth of Kotorosli, which connected one of the largest cities of the time – Rostov the Great – with the Volga. RUSSIAN GOLDEN RING TRAVEL IN YAROSLAVl
In XI – XII centuries, Yaroslavl was a border city of the Rostov-Suzdal principality. The situation of the town along the important trade. Water route on the Volga flourished Yaroslavl. At this time, Yaroslavl masters created such masterpieces of old-time Russian painting as “Our Lady of the Sign – Great Panagia” (located in the collection of the Tretyakov Gallery) and “Spas”, which show the great artistic taste of local masters. Yaroslavl reached its peak in the 17th century.
When such remarkable monuments of history, architecture, painting as the churches of St. Nicholas Nadein (1620-1622), of the Nativity of Christ (1644), of Elijah the Prophet (1647-1650), of St. John the Baptist (1671-1687), John Chrysostom (1654) and others were built, representing the Yaroslavl School of Architecture and Painting. That’s what accounts for the present architectural unity of the city. At the same time, the Yaroslavl school of iconography is developing.